Product Review: Everlast Power I-Tig 200 DC Stick TIG Welder 110v/220v
Price Range: $550 – $580
Who would buy the Everlast I Tig 200: Anyone looking for a portable (runs on a 6500 watt generator or better) TIG/Stick welder.
Powerful, Portable and Affordable
The purpose of the Everlast Power I Tig 200 is to provide on-site TIG and Stick welding that is industry capable. This unit is able to weld just about any type of steel or stainless metal. Perfect for fixing a dirt bike at the track or repairing an old bomber’s (circle track racing car) roll cage before for the next race.
For the more experienced welders here forgive us as we talk a little about each setting.
Digital Read Out - Everlast welders have digital displays that allow the user to fine-tune the output amperage to hone in on that perfect ‘sweet spot’. Other welders in this class tend to come standard with fixed amperage settings on the amp adjustment knob and no digital display. This can often be useless because the setting ends up being either too high or too low.
2T and 4T – The unit can switch between 2t (two touch) and 4t ( four touch).
- 2t is easy and only requires preset parameters and a push on either the foot pedal or the torch switch. The machine will go through the pre-selected settings (good for beginners and where required amperage can be preset).
- 4t is more complex. You can’t use the pedal on this by-the-way. With the torch in hand, the stages are selected by pressing on the switch. This is a very precise and controlled feature allowing no use of the foot pedal for those applications where the foot pedal is not practical (under a car, or upside down on a roll cage).
Analog Parameter Control – This TIG gives a lot more control over the welding than the PowerARC 140 TIG we reviewed previously. The Analog knobs are color coded and easy to see. A lot of welders prefer the analog interface over the digital. The analog keeps them from going in and out of menus to change settings, and it’s just easier to deal with for some people.
Parameters Controlled Include:
- Up and Down Slope – time taken to ramp up current and time taken to ramp down current for a crater or finish welding ( time is between 0-10 sec)
- Pulse – for reducing heat and keeping the bead width manageable (unheard of for this price range)
- Arc Force Control – helps the welder maintain the arc and electrode distance from work-piece by increasing amperage when the electrode gets too close to the work-piece where it is in danger of snuffing out.
- Pre-Flow and Post-Flow – pre-flow helps get rid of that big blast when starting your arc caused by the initial blast of argon. Post-flow cools the weld and makes sure that oxygen and other gases don’t touch the weld until it’s fully solidified
- HF Start and Lift Start – High-Frequency is simply starting the arc without touching the work piece. High voltage is used to generate a spark. Where Lift Start, the old school way, is starting the arc by touching the electrode to the work piece
While this unit comes with a nice kit, including a Stick welding cable and (Stinger), TIG Torch with 12 ft. cable and hose, and a gas meter/regulator, the kit does not include the male power cord plug. This can be remedied by purchasing a Standard 120 volt plug or a Nema 6-50 240 volt male 3 prong power cord plug. 120 volt or 240 is your choice.
- Recommended for E6011, E7018 and most other welding rods
- 200 amp DC Pulse Tig
- 160 amp Stick Welder
- Inverter Class – IGBT
- Voltage/Phase – Dual Voltage/ 120/240 V/ 1 ph
- Processes – GTAW-P, SMAW/ DC Only
- Recommended Maximum Steel Thickness (GTAW) – 1/4″
- Recommended Maximum Aluminum Thickness (GTAW) – Not Recommended
- Recommended Maximum Electrode Diameter (SMAW) – 1/8″
- Typical use setting – Hobbyist, Steel Fabrication, General Repair and Gun-Smithing
5 year warranty exchange protection. 30 day satisfaction guarantee.
Value for money?
The Power I-Tig 200 is a step-up from the PowerARC 140ST. Everlast has produced a great welder here at a very competitive price. No question about it, this is an excellent welder.
Where to buy:
Amazon.com is the best place the buy the Everlast Power I Tig 200. They have the best price, but even more than their customer service is second to none.